Saturday, February 27, 2016

Gas Engines Are Dead, Long Live Gas Engines

Oh, it runs. exactly like you would think. It starts as soon as you touch the key; a puff of smoke and a cough, but it runs. Flat as ever and I'm sure there's not a bit of compression in the thing. Certainly not a bit of oil pressure. But, if it wants to be a gas car then it's earned the right to be a gas car. I will just have to experiment with big ass electric motors and expensive batteries some other time. 
So, I've got to figure out what I'm dorking around with. Maybe a filter pump from Mexico and a sender. Maybe. Maybe a little Indian Head gasket sealer.

I did figure out that there are some pros and cons to having the Mexican filter pump. Exhaust is a con. Nothing wants to fit in my price range. It's been so long that I don't even remember what the first after market exhaust attempt was. But it was about a hundred bucks and was stupid. I'll bet I'm on number three now. The first two are in Tim's Garage. You might now him, and if so he'll probably give them to you. Because they were both stupid choices and I had to beat them with a hammer to get the Mexican filter pump to work.
It's not so bad. Most everything is there and some of it works.

I'm starting to notice this rust a little bit. The floor pan look a little rough but maybe I can save them. I actually tried to cover the rust with fiberglass. I did cover the rust in fiberglass. But it looked stupid and didn't last more than a week.
Rust encapsulation.

This is not how to do rust encapsulation.





No comments:

Post a Comment